Mohawk Cultural Tours
Immersive, Indigenous Cultural Tours Hosted by Experts
Akwesasne has many stories to tell. From the ancient art of basket making and herbal medicine to the traditions of lacrosse and music, Akwesasne has a rich culture that is waiting to be explored. Hosted by Akwesasne experts, our cultural tours offer a rare opportunity to learn about Native American culture and traditions firsthand. We are not stuck in the past, our hosts are known for their deep knowledge and expertise in their field, and bring a modern perspective to life in Akwesasne.
Learn more about First Nations on one of our cultural tours.
- Learn about life in Akwesasne before the arrival of European settlers and how the Mohawk experience has changed over time in this participatory tour: From Pre Contact to Present Day: A Tour of Mohawk Life. You will even learn a few words of Mohawk.
- Akwesasne is known for its expert basket weavers. Hear from one of the best weavers in Akwesasne and try your hand at weaving during this hands-on basket weaving tour.
- During the From Log to Lacrosse Stick: A Factory Tour of Lacrosse Stick Making, the owner of traditional Lacrosse Evan Cree will share the cultural origins of Lacrosse as well as the process of making his coveted wooden sticks.
- Explore the Akwesasne Cultural Center, home to thousands of artifacts that tell the story of the Mohawk People – past, present and future. During the Akwesasne Mohawks: A Living History Tour, learn about our creation, longhouse living, the clan system and our Wampum Belts.
Our tours are available on a first-come, first-served basis, but custom itineraries and private tours are available upon request. We can organize:
- Private-group tours
- Team-building activities
- Custom itineraries
- Pre- and post-conference activities
- Spouse and family activities
- Social events
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on pricing and availability.
If you can’t make it here in person, check out our virtual tours. Dive into local culture, explore the roots of our traditional foods, experience stunning Indigenous art, and see how Mohawk lacrosse sticks are made during these live interactive online sessions hosted by experts from Akwesasne.